Friday, September 17, 2010

Paying it Forward

September 16, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Parable to the Host of the Feast; Luke 14:12-14

Luke 14:13-14 (The Living Oracles NT)13 But when you give an entertainment, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind; 14 and you shall be happy; for, as they have not the means to requite you, you shall be requited at the resurrection of the righteous.

I have the opposite problem of what is mentioned here but God can still deal with me about it here.  I often do not want to accept an offer from someone because I know that I can not return the invitation to them and I start to feel like I am a leech.  But God tells us not to expect the return of the offer, that we will be blessed.  

So should I feel guilty because I can not return the favor to others?  Or can I? I help other in ways that are not what would be considered entertainment.  In life we are all takers in some way, shape or form.  It is only when we do not give to others that problems happen.  The expression comes to mind of ‘paying it forward.’  While I help others I do so, and if some choose to help me, then I am receiving the reward of ‘paying it forward.’

Read for next time: Parable of the dinner  Luke 14:15-24
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list