Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Are you in good hands?

September 8, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jews Confront Jesus; John 10:24 - 39

John 10:28-29 (English Standard Version)
28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

When I looked over the verses for today I started to skip over this one.  When I first became a Christian, someone gave me a pack of verses to memorize.  This was the first one I memorized.  I have meditated a lot on it over the years and thought I had gotten every ounce I could out of it.  There is the never perish, the cannot be taken by Satan, the God the Father to back Jesus up, what else could there be?

And then I saw it.  “I give eternal life...”  Jesus gives us eternal life.  Not that He is going to give it. Now I know that I can not work for my salvation. On the other hand this tells me that I cannot loose it either.  Jesus gave it to me.  It is a gift that I have accepted.  I could have rejected it, but once I am in His hand, no one can snatch me away.  This does not give me a licence to sin.  If I love Jesus I will try not to sin. I do have an assurance from Him though.  

Read for next time: Jesus Goes to Aenon Near Salim; John 10:40-42

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list