Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Going to die

September 29, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Jesus prepares 12 to go to Judea; John 11:7-16

John 11:16 (Twentieth Century New Testament)
16 At this, Thomas, who was called 'The Twin,' said to his fellow- disciples. "Let us go too, so that we may die with him."

While I think the faith was a little displaced, I think Thomas had the right idea.  He wanted to be with Jesus no matter what the cost, even if that cost meant dieing with Him.  Understand this is the same Thomas who was referred to later as ‘Doubting Thomas.’  And he shows his doubts here as well, not thinking through what Jesus said. But he was a man of doing something, and I have to admire him for that.

In my own life I look and see all the times that I could have stood with Jesus but I decided to let them go.  I am not saying that I am not forgiven about them, I am sure that I am. I am saying that I at times need a little bit of the DNA of Thomas in me.  I need to be able to go when Jesus tells me it is time to go.

Read for next time:   Arrives near Bethany, 2 days later; John 11:17-18
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list