Sunday, September 26, 2010

Millstone

September 26, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Jesus instructs disciples; Luke 17:1-10

Luke 17:2 (New English Translation)
2 It would be better for him to have a millstone tied around his neck and be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.

I have spent the last few years at my church involved with children’s ministry.  I can tell you that is how I feel about people who kill their children’s faith.  I have had kids hang on every word I say as I teach them.  And I have had kids that could not care less about what I am talking about, all in the same room.  Then, as the parent’s pick them up I understand why. The kids that were interested have parents that engage them in what we did, like ask questions about what they learned.  The ones that sat their bored like a rock on a log, well, their parents just came in and said, ‘let’s go.’  

A child’s faith is the purest form of faith there is to me.  Years ago, my daughter was up in the top bunk of the bed. She wanted to get down but the ladder that she got up with seemed a lot more scary to get down with. I could not quite reach her so she had to jump off the bunk to my arms.  She had faith that I, her father would catch her.

As I saw the kids leave, I know the ones that would jump in their parents arms and the ones who would not.  As a parent, I should never hang that millstone of lack of faith on my children, not when God gave it to them in the first place.  

Read for next time:   Lazarus of Bethany reported sick; John 11:1-6
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list