Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On a dime

September 27, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Jesus delays for 2 days; John 11:6

ESV: John 11:6. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was.

A few years ago, a pastor at my church preached a sermon on how God can change things ‘on a dime.’  To illustrate this point he gave us all a praise report card with a dime taped on it.  When the situation for what we were praying about finally changed, we were to turn in the card with the dime.  Many praise reports came through in the next few weeks.  Me, I still have my card with my dime, but I pray about it on a regular basis.  Since that time, I have had many more times that I could have used a card with a dime on it as a reminder that God changes things on His time.

Why God does this I do not know.  Sometimes I would like to ask Him.  I do know from the Old Testament incident where God did not give the promised land all at once to the people or else the wild animals would come in.  Getting everything we need immediately would not be a good thing for us.  But having a need drag out of several years, that is not good either, at least to me it is not.  

So I hold on to my card with a dime, believing God that things will change.  

Read for next time:   Jesus prepares 12 to go to Judea; John 11:7-16
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list