Friday, October 8, 2010

Time to retreat

October 8, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Jesus goes to Ephraim; John 11:54

John 11:54 (Montgomery New Testament)
54 Jesus therefore no longer went about publicly among the Jews, but went away from there into the region near the desert to a town called Ephraim,

Jesus knew when to pick His battles.  I must learn when to pick mine as well.  He knew that moving openly among them after they had already declared his death sentence (John 11:50 - http://scrip.ly/Joh11:50).  So though He did not take to the shadows, He did not publicly put Himself out there so that they could attack Him before His time.

I must learn the patience that Jesus had.  I must learn to yield myself to the Holy Spirit and know when it is time to fight and time to stop and let the fight go by. Like Jesus I must come to understand that not every opportunity to engage someone else is the best time, and in order to advance the kingdom, there may be times that I have to retreat.

Read for next time:  Ten lepers are cleansed; Luke 17:11-14
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list