Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cigarette butts

October 14, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Parable of the Pharisee and tax collector; Luke 18:9-14

Luke 18:11-12 (Bible in Worldwide English)
11 ‘The Pharisee stood and said to himself, "God, I thank you that I am not like other men.  They steal, cheat, and commit adultery. I thank you that I am not like this tax collector.
12 Two times in the week I do not eat-I fast. I give away one tenth part of all I get."

So many times I have read the verses for reading today, looked at them and said to myself, God wants me to be humble like the tax collector. While that is true, there is something else to look at here.  God does not want me to be boastful like the  Pharisee.  The Pharisee says “thank you God I am not a sinner like other men,’ then gives a laundry list of all the good things that he has done.  
Am I much different.  I see others who I do not even know and tend to judge them on my standards.  And I say that I am a Christian so I have that right.  I heard a preacher once say you could tell how well a church was doing by the amount of cigarette butts outside the door.  Maybe, just maybe, I have not helped to add to that count and I should repent for it.  

Read for next time:  Jesus goes to Judea by the Jordan; Matthew 19:1; Mark 10:1
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list