Sunday, October 31, 2010

Throwing off the coat

October 31, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Blind men healed near Jericho; Matthew 20:29-34; Mark 10:46-52; Luke 18:35-43

The scene is a roadside, Jesus is walking by and a beggar who is blind hears Him go by and asks about what is going on. He is told it is Jesus.  He has heard of Jesus before. Jesus is a healer of people. If he could get healed he would not have to beg anymore.  So he yells out to Jesus.  Jesus calls to him and:

Mark 10:50 (International Standard Version)
50 He threw off his coat, jumped up, and went to Jesus.

That coat he threw off was a beggars coat.  It signified that he had permission to beg.  He did not want to beg anymore and if Jesus could heal him, then he would not need it anymore.

He tells Jesus he wants to see.

Mark 10:52 (International Standard Version)
52 Jesus told him, “Go. Your faith has made you well.” At once the man could see again, and he began to follow Jesus down the road.

Was the faith when Jesus spoke to him.  I do not think so, I think it happened back when he threw off the coat.  Like the woman with the issue of blood was healed when she touched Jesus garments, this mans faith was in throwing away his beggars coat.  

In my life I have come up to many things that I have to stand in faith for.  Not all seem possible, but if I never try in faith, I can never get the results, can I?

Read for next time: Zaccheus is converted near Jericho; Luke 19:1-10
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list