Friday, October 29, 2010

Fixing Tickets

October 29, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Request for James and John; Matthew 20:20-24; Mark 10:35-41

Mark 10:35 (English Standard Version)
35 And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came up to him and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.”

The other day I got stopped by a police man on the way home from church with my kids.  We exchanged our information he wanted and he told me my tags had expired and have a seat.  I knew there would be an expense involved so while he was in his car writing up my tickets, I turned to God and asked for help in making it through this.

As I read this today I thought to myself about what I had just done the other day. Now I talk to God on a regular basis, even when I do not feel he is close to me, because on those days I know that the devil is trying to get me not to believe in God and I need Him the most. However, did I just tell God what I wanted with out any concern for what He was trying to teach me or my family.  

I have told myself in the past that I would never be like James and John here and tell Jesus that I wanted seats by His side. I am, however, wanting to tell Him to take care of tickets for me.  Is that any different?

Read for next time: Relationship of disciples to each other; Matthew 20:25-28; Mark 10:42-45
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list