Thursday, October 16, 2008

'I only want to see you there...'

October 16, 2008

I have led a fairly quiet life as a Christian. One day a song by the late Keith Green hit me square between the eyes. In it he is telling the story of trying to (unsuccessfully) tell his family about Jesus. A haunting verse says 'its only that I care, I really want to see you there.' The next time I was home to the Boston area, I knew that I had to try to tell my family about Jesus and my relationship with him. We grew up Catholic so I knew how they felt already, I had acted the same way with the 'crazy Christians' that had come my way. And it was perdictable. A quick, you go your way I go mine, and all these years I have done it this way and you want to tell me I am wrong? My grandmother, and this was the last time I saw her, who was Irish Catholic told the family to leave me alone, she was happy I had found God in my own way. From her, I was shocked, from the rest I expected it.

As I went back home to Tulsa, these verses came to mind.

Matthew 10:24-25 ALT
(24) "A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above his lord.
(25) "[It is] enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his lord. If they called the master of the house Beelzebul [i.e. a Philistine deity, used as a name for the devil], how much more the members of his household?

Jesus was called crazy by his own family. Was I better than Jesus? In reality, I got off better than Jesus did, at least one family member had supported me.

I continue to pray for my family. About a year and half ago, my mom told me that someone led her to Jesus, that she did not have to leave the church she knew to accept Jesus. My brothers I still pray for. I am willing to be called the nutcase for their salvation.

How does your family/friends/coworkers see you?

Read through the Bible in historical order
Today
Matthew 9:1-10:42
Tomorrow
Matthew 14:1-36, Mark 6:1-56, Luke 9:1-17
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list