Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Father I wish you were dead!

October 27, 2008


Father I wish you were dead!

Now those words are not in the Bible, but the sentiment is. We so often will skip past the opening verse of the story of the prodigal son that we ignore what the son was saying to his dad. We feel that it is just a setup for the rest of the verses.

Luke 15:11-12 WEB
11 He said, "“A certain man had two sons.
12 The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of your property.’ He divided his livelihood between them.


Now stop and think about this for a moment. The young man wants what is going to come to him. This is called an inheritance. When do you get an inheritance? Do you get it before the person dies? This man wants want what he is going to get when his dad dies. He is really saying to him, 'dad, I cannot wait for you to die, give me your money now.'

Now, I know how I would feel as a dad if one of my kids said that to me. But God is different. He, represented by the elderly man saidOK, here it is. You all know the rest of the story, if not look at Luke 15 for it.

The point to look at here is that God can give us what we want, and when we get it we can turn away from Him. I know this firsthand. I am a prodigal son. I ran from God and ruined a lot of good people's lives in the process. I said God I am tired of you giving me just enough to get by on, I want happiness. And I ran away from Him. Guess what? I came to my senses later. I said, God take me back, please. And He did.

If you just happened on these words today, it was not an accident. God wants you back. Like the father, he is looking for you every day. Return to Him and He will welcome you with open arms.

Read through the Bible in historical order
Today
Luke 14:1-15:32
Tomorrow
Luke 16:1-17:10
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list