Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hearing from God

October 6, 2008

One of the things my oldest two boys (Gabe(28) and Josh(26)), as well as my youngest two (Annie and Israel (12 and 10) can tell you is that I try to teach them to hear God by hearing me. I am not trying to tell them that I am God, but that if they cannot respond to me who they can see and hear, what will they do when God tries to speak to them and they cannot see or hear Him directly? It is a hard lesson but one that bears repeating many times in the child's life (and sometimes adults need to hear it also).

Jesus basically said the same thing to Nicodemus. He tried to explain spiritual things to Nicodemus by using earthly symbols. Nicodemus could not understand, so Jesus said to him:

John 3:10-12 BBE
(10) And Jesus, answering, said, Are you the teacher of Israel and have no knowledge of these things?
(11) Truly, I say to you, We say that of which we have knowledge; we give witness of what we have seen; and you do not take our witness to be true.
(12) If you have no belief when my words are about the things of earth, how will you have belief if my words are about the things of heaven?

While we are not a people who walk by sight, sometimes we need to see examples of things done for us in order to learn. I know it is that way on the jobs that I do as I am sure it is for you. Christianity is no different. In order to learn the spiritual things we have to learn some things in the natural. I can learn how the Holy Spirit moves by understanding how the wind starts and stops for example.

Take some time to study nature, not to worship it, but to learn from it.



Read through the Bible in historical order
Today
John 2:1-4:54
Tomorrow
Mark 2:1-28
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list