Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What is blessed?

August 16, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:A Woman Blesses Mary; Luke 11:27-28

Luke 11:27-28 (The Common Edition: New Testament)
27 As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that nursed you!"
28 But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"

An interesting thought. Someone, I assume a Jewish woman but all we know is it is a woman, cries out to Jesus, ‘Blessed is the woman who gave you birth.” The Greek is better translated extremely blessed. She was putting the mother of Jesus above Jesus Himself.

Now, if she believes as Jesus says that He is the Son of God, then she is literally saying that the woman who gave you birth is more important that you are, and to some degree, than God the Father is Himself.  As a Jewish woman, she spoke against the commandments.  She put someone above God and the commandments clearly say that no one is to come before Him. Jesus however deflected it. He said that those who hear the word of God and keep it are the truly blessed ones.

So now, what does that mean to me today?  What person or thing do I have in front of me each day that I lift up and put it higher than God?  Do I worship the blessings or the one who gave them? Can I be hearing the Word of God and do it?  God give me the strength to focus on these things and keep my eyes in the right place.

Read for next time: Sign of Jonah; Luke 11:19 - 32
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list