Thursday, August 26, 2010

Toxic thoughts

August 26, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jesus teaches a great crowd; Luke 12:1-12

Luke 12:6-7 (Twentieth Century New Testament)
6 Are not five sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them has escaped God's notice.
7 No, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.

I was listening to a sermon from Lifechurch.tv yesterday.  They talked about Toxic Thoughts.  One of the toxic thoughts  is that we have no value, that God could not really care about me.  It is a problem that I deal with often.  So often I have heard these scriptures when I would begin to think like this.  

Now I am not saying that these scriptures are not true. And I am not saying that we should not quote them, we should.  But if your thinking is like that to start with, then all the positive talking is not going to fix the underlying problem.  If the base of the cake is crooked, it does not matter how much icing you put on top, the cake is going to fall.  

If you are a person who is like this, as I am, continue to tell your self of your worth, but take time to get help to get rid of some of the underlying problems.  

Read for next time: Jesus warns about greed; Luke 12:13-15
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list