Monday, August 16, 2010

A Body Divided

August 15, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today:Blasphemy and Teaching on Demons; Luke 11:14-26

As I have meditated on the scriptures for today, even the one I chose, I have been drawn in so many directions of where to go.

Luke 11:17 (English Standard Version)
17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls.

Wow, there are about a half dozen sermons there. But God impressed on me something that I did not want to write about.  Though I write these for myself, I know a few people read them on my Blog and a few other places. I also email them out through Google groups to a few people.  While I am not sure how many actually read them, I know there are some.  And in writing them I have to expose some things about me. Not anything bad, just things.

A few months ago, this devotional took a break from things.  It was not intentional, I was overwhelmed with a new position at work, working three jobs, and a few other things.  I just got to the point where I either did not have time for it or just could not muster up the spiritual strength to write anything.  It had become just works. One of the reasons was that I would sit down, pick a verse and write.  I would not meditate on the scripture, I would just put it out there.

The about a month and a half ago, I had some real personal problems. I am still not out of them, and it will take some time, but God did speak to me about some things.  In my life I have not been what people would call a positive thinker.  And that is what God spoke to me about.  My house, my body, had become a house divided, and it had fallen, now it was time to put it back together again.  God told me to start this up again.  I argued with Him that I was not good enough, but He had a purpose in mind.  One thing He told me was to pick out a scripture for the next day and meditate on it every free moment I had.  What I learned from this may sound strange. When I got my negative thoughts about myself, God would speak and say, ‘meditate on that scripture.’  Doing so would not allow me to meditate on the negative aspects I tended to.

Have I gotten over it?  Nope, the thoughts still creep in from time to time. I still have a tendency to see the negative.  But as I stay in the scriptures, my negative thoughts are not as much.  My body house is not as divided as it was before.

What about your body house?  

Read for next time: A Woman Blesses Mary; Luke 11:27-28
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list