Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Traditions

October 31, 2007

Traditions can be a good thing. As I write this, I have helped at my church in the presenting of a Hallelujah party. It is an annual event done as a web for a safe alternative to trick or treat. The church has done it as far back as I can remember, long before I became a member there. It is a tradition. Traditions can get to be a problem though.

Mark 7:9 ALT
(9) And He was saying to them, "[All too] well do you* regard as nothing the commandment of God, so that you* should keep your* tradition.


If what we do in our traditions counteracts the word of God, the Bible, then we are wrong. We can wind up calling something a tradition, but in reality it is a sin. As a Christian, I let the world celebrate Halloween , it is not something that I will do or let my children do. I have had people tell me it is a silly tradition. Tradition, maybe; silly, nope! It is a holiday that worships evil spirits. You can wrap it up any way you want, but that is what it is. Because of that, it is a tradition that I will not keep, I will obey the commands of God.

Of course that is just one. Any one else have some traditions that we need to shut down?