Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Spare the words

October 2, 2007

Sorry this is getting out late tonight, but in my other life I work a full time job and teach at a local community college part time.

As luck would have it, the verse for today reflects on people like me that speak a lot, though I am not sure it applies to teachers.

Pro 17:27 KJV
(27) He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.

I would think that teachers do not qualify for the first part of that verse. We get paid to talk a lot. But if you think about it, the verse has a lot to say.

I have a friend that is a councilor at a local church. Part of his nature is that he is a good listener. I know that cause he had listened to me many times. But when he does speak, he is a man of few words, and those words usually have great knowledge behind them. He does not have to speak a lot of words. The words are well chosen and convey what he wants without a lot of fluff. And the other thing about his is that he has an excellent spirit in him. He is living proof that this verse is so real.

Jesus also was a man of few words. In fact he told us often if we have ears to hear, let us listen. Maybe we need to emulate that in our lives.