Sunday, October 23, 2011

Self-preservation


October 23, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Peter's 1st denial - doorkeeping girl; Matthew 26:69-70; Mark 14:66-68; Luke 22:55-57; John 18:17-18


ESV: Luke 22:55. And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat down among them.

This was not Peter’s place. As one of Jesus closest people his position was at his side.  While Jesus was facing a trial of make believe charges, Peter should have been with Him.  So why was he warning himself by the fire.

Even though Peter was close to Jesus, he still has a human body.  That body has a need for it’s own self preservation. Being where Jesus was did not lead well to that.

How often have I not been by the side of Jesus when I should have. Recently a person where I work tore apart those of religious faith. This is not a person that I normally work in their area, so I just let them have their rant and got out.  Why. Self-preservation.  Why did I not say that I know otherwise.  I was like Peter,denying Jesus and warming myself with the fire of keeping my job.  I wonder how many others do this each day.



Read for next time: Annas questions Jesus; John 18:19-24