Saturday, October 22, 2011

Following Jesus Safely


October 21, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Peter follows at a distance; Matthew 26:58; Mark 14:54; Luke 22:54; John 18:15-16

 ESV: Matthew 26:58. And Peter was following him at a distance, as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and going inside he sat with the guards to see the end

I wonder sometimes how many of us are like Peter. I know I am in this case.  I do not want people to know I am a Christian sometimes.  So I follow Jesus but I keep back. Maybe I hear the off-color joke and let it pass with out any comment. So my walk with Jesus is compromised and I take a few steps back behind Him. When enough of these happen I am now back at a safe distance. It does Jesus no good at that time as I can not really tell others about Him.

Lord, help me learn not to follow at a safe distance. Let me be right up there with Him.



Read for next time: Peter's 1st denial - doorkeeping girl; Matthew 26:69-70; Mark 14:66-68; Luke 22:55-57; John 18:17-18