Thursday, October 27, 2011

Injured


October 27, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Guards beat Jesus; Luke 22:63-65


Darby: Luke 22:65. And they said many other injurious things to him.

There are a lot of different words used in various translations, I like this one.  The King James uses blasphemously in place of injurious.  With the usage of today, that would imply they spoke out against Jesus in a way to injure the religious belief of Him. In order to so that, it would imply that they knew who Jesus really was. So while slanderous in today’s standards, they were more injurious to Jesus then.

And Jesus being injured by the words and actions of these men is something that I can relate to with a little more ease.  I have had my share of things said to hurt me by a wide variety of people.  In the end, I have had to learn one thing.  It does not matter what others say about me, it only matters what I say about myself. No one can make me feel any way, I make myself feel the way I do.  I imagine that Jesus did the same thing.  When they tried to break Him, He told Himself who He was.  He was not what they said He was, He was the Son of God.

It is a lesson that I have to re-tell myself from time to time. I am not what others tell me I am.  I am what God says that I am. He says that I am good.

Read for next time: False witnesses testify; Matthew 26:59-61; Mark 14:55-59