Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lessons from the past


October 19, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today: Jesus heals the high priest's servant; Luke 22:51



ESV: Luke 22:51. But Jesus said, No more of this! And he touched his ear and healed him.

Jesus put a stop to the madness around Him.  He got His men to stop the fighting and then He did something interesting.  From the previous verse, the owner of the salve is told to be the High Priest.  I can only stop and think what it was like, day in and day out when the High Priest looked at this man and his ear.  Did he dismiss the stories of the ear being cut off?  Did he wonder why Jesus would have done it?  Did he realize that Jesus was truly who He said He was, only too late?

Actions in my life, both by me and to me,are going to affect things for years to come, and I may never know what the results may be.  From time to time I need to stop and reflect on them, to learn from them.  I can only hope that the High Priest learned from the actions of Jesus.  I need to take a look at the actions of others to me, see what I can learn from them. There are lessons to be learned when I look at why things were done.


Read for next time: Jesus is arrested. The disciples flee; Matthew 26:55-56; Mark 14:48-52; Luke  22:52-54; John 18:12