Friday, October 28, 2011

Can I Get A Witness


October 27, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  False witnesses testify; Matthew 26:59-61; Mark 14:55-59


ESV: Mark Chapter 14
 [55] Now the chief priests and the whole Council were seeking testimony against Jesus to put him to death, but they found none. [56] For many bore false witness against him, but their testimony did not agree. [57] And some stood up and bore false witness against him, saying, [58] We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands. [59] Yet even about this their testimony did not agree.

Jewish law said that any action against a criminal should be done by at least two if not more witnesses.  They were about to sentence Jesus to death and they could not get two witnesses to agree to what He had done.

Jesus stayed calm through it all.  Why? Because He knew, from two witnesses, who He was. God the father and the Holy Spirit gave witness to Him of His destiny and who He was through out His life.

When people get angry around me I too have to learn to listen not to those who attack me,but to the two (or more) who know me and what I am. They are the same ones Jesus knew to listen to.

Read for next time: Caiaphas condemns Jesus; Matthew 26:62-66; Mark 14:60-64; Luke 22:66-71