Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Impulse


October 5, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today: Peter severs the ear of Malchus; Matthew 26:50-54; Mark 14:46-47; Luke 22:49-50; John 18:10-11

I recently listened to a tape series about men who were failures in the Bible, but God was able to use them. These were men like Sampson, Abraham, and most especially David.  I think I would like to include one more into the mix, Peter.

I have to love Peter when it comes to reading about him.  Here was a man who was so bold as to attempt to walk on water. He was bold enough to take a stand that he would never run from Jesus, and he did try to make good on it.  He just did it, like he did so much in his life, the wrong way.

ESV: John Chapter 18
 [10] Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.) [11] So Jesus said to Peter, Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?

Jesus knew the priority in his life, He knew what was to come.  Peter did not and tried, not knowing what Jesus knew, to do the right thing.  Jesus would use the impulsive actions of Peter for good later, but it still was the wrong thing to do.

So often in my life I have tried to help Jesus, tried to tell Him how to take care of my problems.  In reality, He knows what to do and I need to learn to trust Him to take care of things.  Like the servant’s ear, Jesus can make things right, but if I could learn not to try to do things my own way, maybe it would be better for all.


Read for next time: Jesus heals the high priest's servant; Luke 22:51