Friday, October 21, 2011

Finding Wisdom


October 20, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Jesus lead to high priest's house; Matthew 26:57; Mark 14:53; Luke 22:54; John 18:13-14

In have often heard it said that even if a man is in sin, if he has accepted Jesus he can still speak the word of God and it can come to fruit.  Maybe God has this in mind one day.


BBE: John Chapter 18
 [13] They took him first to Annas, because Annas was the father-in-law of Caiaphas who was the high priest that year. [14] It was Caiaphas who had said to the Jews that it was in their interest for one man to be put to death for the people.


Caiaphas was no big fan of Jesus I am sure.  So the words that he spoke were aimed at having Jesus killed.  He was beginning to be noticed by the Roman government and the Jewish leaders feared that His popularity would mean more interferences and with that, a lack of power for themselves.  They wanted the status quo for themselves and the nation. If Jesus gets too much attention they are out of jobs.

In saying these words, he reveals that even sinners can speak the word of God. While it was good that Jesus die that they could get rid of their problem, it was also good for future generations that he die also.  Without that death, we are still dead in our sins.

One of the first devotionals I wrote for this running devotional talked about finding God’s word in every day things (http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/2007/02/feb-12-2007.html). It covers Proverbs 1:20 where Wisdom is crying in the streets.  God’s word can speak to us from a TV show, a newspaper, from so many things, if we take the time to get His word in us. Only then will we see it in our lives.  If Caiaphas had more understanding of the scriptures, he would have seen the truth of his own words and not how he could protect himself.

Read for next time: Peter follows at a distance; Matthew 26:58; Mark 14:54; Luke 22:54; John 18:15-16

----------------------------------------------------
On a side note, according to Blogspot, where this devotion has been since its beginning, this is the 1000 devotion I have written.  It started on Sunday Feb. 11, 2007.  If I had been at it daily I should have reached this milestone somewhere around the end of 2009.  I am two years late in reaching it.  I thank all those who have stuck with me in the various venues that it appears.  Along with Blogger it started with and still has a mailing list. Over the years I have added Google Orkut, Facebook, YouVersion and the newest one, Scriptly (http://docbob.scriply.com/).  If any of you are looking for a place to start a Bible Blog I recommend Scriptly as it has excellent tools build around Bible blogging.

When I started this devotion I had just finished surgery and was recuperating.  Since then I have lost a job, got a new job, got a promotion and step back down from it, and recently found out I have early stage prostate cancer.  I seek your prayers in everything, but especially that the next 1000 devotionals get done in a lot more timely fashion. I really have no excuse for the delays except personal problems that I have gone through and just have not had the time or energy to do them.

Thanks for all who have been with me and the new ones that have joined.  May we reach 2000 in about 2.7 years from now.