Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The company you keep


October 25, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Peter's 2nd denial - by the fire; Matthew 26:71-72; Mark 14:69-70;Luke 22:58; John 18:25



MKJV: Mark 14:70. And he denied it again. And a little after, those who stood by said again to Peter, Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean, and your speech agrees.

My daughter was feeling a little down last night. She had problems dealing with the stuff at her school.  I listened for a while and then I told her, I can not understand what you are going through, but I went through a lot of the same stuff.  Reading today’s verse brought that back to me.  Whether we like it or not, the people we hang around with tend to rub off on us.

And so it was with Peter. Jesus was a Galilean, Peter was too, that must make him a follower of Jesus.  Their speech was of a similar nature. While the Bible does not record it, I am sure that there were other similarities as well.  Peter tried to hide those things, deny them, to save his flesh.

When you think of it, it would be pretty nice to be compared to Jesus. That when people see you, they see Jesus. That would mean you have been hanging around Him for a while and he is wearing off on you.  My only concern, for myself at least, is that I will wind up denying Him.


Read for next time: Peter's 3rd denial - relative of Malchus; Matthew 26:73-75; Mark 14:70-72; Luke 22:59-62; John 18:26-27