Tuesday, March 1, 2011

God of the dead?

March 1, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Sadducees question the resurrection; Matthew 22:23-33; Mark 12:18-27; Luke 20:27-40

ESV: Matthew 22:32.
I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.

I have had a tough time of things lately.  I work multiple jobs and everywhere I turn there seems to be strife in my life, some of my own doing I am sure.  Through it all I keep hanging on.  But it seems I tend not to look forward, but to the past.  The past is dead, why do I keep looking there.  It brings up the pains and strife that I have had to live through.

While I am sure that is not what Jesus was implying when He said those words, not to live in our past, it really does fit in with what He was saying.  The future is what is alive and that is where I need to live.  While what has happened in the past has shaped who I am today, it does not define me.  If I want to truly walk with God, I must remember that he is a God of the living, and not the dead.


Read for next time: Scribes and Pharisees question Jesus: Matthew 22:34-40; Mark 12:28-34

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list