Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What will you take with you?

March 8, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Disciples admire the temple; Mathew 24:1-2; Mark 13:1-2; Luke 21:5-6

When I first moved to Tulsa, OK in 1979, the company that I worked for put me up in a hotel for a few weeks till I could find a place to live.  While the hotel was nice, down the street from it was the Camelot Hotel. Just the name brings up the idea if what it was like.  Like all buildings in Tulsa at the time, oil money flowed and it was a sight to be seen.  It was the place for proms, weddings, and all sorts of events.  It was so lavish, looking like a castle from the outside.  We just knew that years from now it would still be standing as a Tulsa landmark.  

A few years ago, the building was in such dis-repair that it was condemned. One group after another though that they could restore that landmark, only to find that it just could not be done. It was eventually destroyed and a convince store sits where it used to dispensing gas and food to people who most likely never knew what used to be there.

That is what Jesus was trying to tell the disciples one day:

Common: Mark Chapter 13
[1] And as he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Look, Teacher, what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!"
[2] And Jesus said to him, "Do you see all these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another, that will not be thrown down."

Anything man can build will eventually be destroyed.  Buildings build in the same era ad the Camelot hotel may still be standing, but eventually they will not be able to be kept up and will need to be destroyed, or nature will do it on its own.

Any thing that I do, will eventually fade away. It is only what I do for Jesus that will live forever. When I help someone receive salvation, when I help someone through personal problems, those are the things that will last, because those I can take to heaven with me.  I am not saying that building an building or doing a work is wrong. I am saying that those will fade away, and I will live forever. Only things I can take to heaven with me, are not the things of this earth.


Read for next time: 4 fishermen question Jesus; Matthew 24:3; Mark 13:3-4; Luke 21:7
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list