Sunday, March 6, 2011

Why do I do what I do?

March 6, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Warnings about Scribes and Pharisees; Matthew 23:1-39; Mark 12:38-40; Luke 20:45-47


EMTV: Matthew Chapter 23
[5] But all their works they do in order to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and they enlarge the borders of their garments.
[6] They love the first couch in the suppers, and the best seats in the synagogues,

It is easy for me to look down through the pages of history in my Bible and make fun of the Pharisees.  They wanted to be the center of attention. I am not like that, am I?

Maybe I am like them. Maybe not to that extreme but I am.  I work to support my family and want a pat on the back and a thank you.  I do some project around the house and want someone to notice.

I know there needs to be a balance. I cannot do everything, and my human nature wants a compliment now and then.  I also know that I have to learn to do things without expecting the reward.  In the end, God will look at me and say, ‘well done my good and trusty servant, enter in to my rest.’

Read for next time: The widow's mite; Mark 12:41-44; Luke 21:1-4

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list