Monday, March 7, 2011

Giving all

March 7, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today: The widow's mite; Mark 12:41-44; Luke 21:1-4

Luke 21:4 BWE
4 All these people had plenty of money and they gave only a part of it. She was poor and she gave everything she had. She has nothing left to live on.’

I struggle with verses like these.  I have a tendency to not give all that I should financially to God. I am struggling with a family with children in it. If I give all the tithe I should then we may not have enough to eat for the week.  I think God can work with me on that. The widow had no children to care for so she would be in a different situation.

But the part where He says ‘she gave every thing she had,’ that I seem to have a problem with.  I tend to do that in my life, give everything that I have to something. It could be working to provide for my family. It could be helping in the church, it could be any number of things.  But when I do, I seem to give everything.  In the end, it usually winds up in burn out. And I usually feel like I am further away from God than when I started.  

And so I ponder how things should be. I would like to get into the mind of the widow and see what she was thinking, what Jesus saw in her that I cannot see.  For now, while I must continue to give all, I will need to monitor myself as well.

Read for next time: Disciples admire the temple; Mathew 24:1-2; Mark 13:1-2; Luke 21:5-6
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list