Friday, February 25, 2011

Going to a Wedding Feast?

February 25, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Parable of the wedding feast; Matthew 22:1-14


Matthew 22:12 - 13 NET
12 And he said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without wedding clothes?' But he had nothing to say.
13 Then the king said to his attendants, 'Tie him up hand and foot and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!'

I wonder sometimes about ‘eternal salvation and about being preordained to follow Jesus.  The parable shows that the chosen ones did not get in.  But it also shows that the wedding guest (those who were being saved) had to still have the proper wedding garments.  

So, if I do not wear the proper garments, or in my terms, act like a Christian, am I not saved?  But that means works are important.  That would mean I am under the law.  

The only way I can come to grips with this is that I am free to choose the garment of salvation that Jesus sacrificed His life for me.  On the other hand, I can pretend that I have and not have the salvation.  Also, I can have it, but then choose to take it off because the lifestyle that I live is not what God would want me to be.  

Either way, I need to continue that works that I do.  They do not save me, but they will help me keep focus on God.  And I need to make sure that I have prayed that prayer with my heart, not my head, that will show that I understand what Jesus did for me.

Read for next time: Jews question on paying taxes; Matthew 22:15-22; Mark 12:13-17; Luke 20:19-26
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list