Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Did you ever stop to think?

February 15, 2011

The life of Jesus. Read Today:  Authority challenged in the Temple; Matthew 21:23-27; Mark 11:27-33; Luke  20:1-8

There is an old joke that says, “did you ever stop to think, then forget to start again?”  While humorous it really says a lot about people, even people from the life of Jesus.

Luke 20:5 (Green's Modern King James Version)
5 And they reasoned within themselves, saying, If we shall say, From Heaven, he will say, Why then did you not believe him?

The Jewish leaders had tried to trap Jesus, asking who gave Him the authority. But Jesus turns the tables on them, and what do they do? They stop to think.  They figured out it was a trap on them, and they gave no answer because of fear. In doing so they lied. Well, maybe not lied, just told a half truth.

In my own life, how many times have I had to ‘stop to think.’  When ever that happens, does the chance that I might have to tell a lie or not the full truth come up? I think it does. While I do not advocate saying the first thing that comes out of my mouth in any situation, if I have to reason things out, then I most likely need to watch for less than the truth coming out of me.


Read for next time: Parable of the two sons;; Matthew 21:28-32
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list