Monday, December 22, 2008

Your Mind

December 22, 2008


Years ago, before I was a Christian, I smoked a pipe. I thought I looked dignified, and it satisfied a need to do something with my hands. To some degree it gave me that nicotine fix that people sometimes need. When I became a Christian, I knew somehow that I should give up smoking, I just had no desire to. I did not take it to church and smoke outside or anything, I wanted the comfort of an old friend.

A few years later I had a child. Again, smoke bad, child good, but could not give up. One day a few months later I was doing some stuff around the house and my wife looked at me and said, are you going to smoke these or do I just keep dusting them. It was then that I realized that I had not smoked a pipe full in at least a month. It was not a conscious effort on my part, it was just that I had not had the desire.


Hebrews 8:10 ASV
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel After those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, And on their heart also will I write them: And I will be to them a God, And they shall be to me a people:



To this day, it is my belief that God took that desire to smoke away from me. At the time in question, I had taken a deep interest in studying and understanding the Bible. As I drew near to Him, He put His will into my mind.

If you are finding an old habit hard to break, take some time to draw near to God. It cannot hurt.

Read through the Bible in historical order
Today

Hebrews 7:1-10:39
Tomorrow
Hebrews 11:1-13:25
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list