Thursday, December 18, 2008

Presents

December 16, 2008


This is a time of year when we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus. We celebrate it by exchanging gifts. Some cannot exchange gifts, there income is so low that they cannot afford to buy for others. But even with that, these people will get gifts anyway. I have been one of those people in the past. Not having the money to get something for others I avoided any place that would put me in a place to accept a gift from another person.

But that attitude is really silly isn't it? In one of those presents might have been something I needed. Maybe so cash to buy someone else a present. Or food, or warm clothing. But by not accepting those gifts I would never know what I turned away.

Ephesians 2:8-10 BWE
8 You have been saved by God’s love and kindness because you believed. It was not because of anything you did, but it was a gift from God.
9 You were not saved by trying to do what the law says. So no one can be proud about it.
10 God has made us. In Jesus Christ God made us so that we can do good things. He planned that we should live that way.


There is one gift that I did open. It was the gift of salvation. Like any other gift, it was given, not because of something that I had done, but because of the love of God. And like the love the people had in trying to give gifts to me, I had to take that gift of salvation. It would do me no good if I acknowledged that gift and said how nice it was. I had to take it as my own.

God offers a gift right now, have you accepted it?


Read through the Bible in historical order
Today

Ephesians 1:1-6:24
Tomorrow
Philippians 1-4
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list

Still working on catching up from sick and accident at work also