Sunday, July 15, 2007

Taking Blame

July 15, 2007

We have a lot of politicians in the recent current events that say words like 'I take full responsibility for my actions.' What does that mean when a person says it. Generally they are saying I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar and I can not get out of this. I can try to blame it on someone else, but I am caught.

David should be an example of some one who got caught doing the wrong thing.

David had numbered the people, something God had forbidden unless He commanded it. David was given a choice of what to take as punishment. I guess he thought God might go easy because he let God decide. God did not go easy. God released a plague that killed seventy thousand people. And he was not finished yet. So David spoke up.

1Ch 21:17 GNB
(17) David prayed, "O God, I am the one who did wrong. I am the one who ordered the census. What have these poor people done? LORD, my God, punish me and my family, and spare your people."

Notice what David did. He took the blame. He did not say 'I did it BUT', he took it square on the chin, said I was wrong. Then he did something that our modern day politicians should do. Not only did he take the blame, he said, punish me. You are punishing the people God, but they did not sin, punish me instead.

I wonder if our politicians, will ever take responsibility and the punishment also. I wonder if the rest of us humans will also.

==Translation Information
Scriptures marked as "(GNB)" are taken from the Good News Bible – Second Edition © 1992 by American Bible Society. Used by permission.