Saturday, July 21, 2007

Little People

July 21, 2007


Saul was getting anointed by Samuel to be the king of Israel. Samuel is telling him what is going to happen. What is his reply?

1Sa 9:21 CEV
(21) "Why are you telling me this?" Saul asked. "I'm from Benjamin, the smallest tribe in Israel, and my clan is the least important in the tribe."


Saul had a small opinion of himself. Here he is the tallest in Israel and he thinks of himself as little. He thinks of himself as unimportant. This is not humility, this is low self esteem. It is not surprising that what happened later in his life, his turning from God, comes to pass. The seeds of it were planted early in his life.

As a parent, I know I have to teach my kids that they are not little in God's eyes. That they have a purpose. Sometimes I even have to teach it to myself.

Next time that you start to say how unimportant your life is, remember Saul's words and how he wound up.

==Translation Information
Scriptures marked as "(CEV)" are taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1995 by American Bible Society. Used by permission.