Sunday, July 29, 2007

Love

July 29, 2007

Joh 21:15-17 KJV
(15) So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
(16) He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
(17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.


I know that I am strange, but it always bothered me why Jesus asked Peter this question three times. Was He trying to embarrass Peter in front of the other disciples? Why repeat yourself three times?

Looking at the Greek tells the answer. The Greek language has several words for love that our English language does not. For example, if I say I love peanut butter is it the same thing as I love my wife?

Two of the Greek words for love are agapo and phielo. The first one talks about the highest for of love for another person. The second tells of a friend. If you look at the words used in the first two verses, Jesus is saying, "Do you agapo me?" and Peter replies "Lord, I philelo you." It is not till we get to the third verse here that Jesus asks him, "Do you phielo me?"

That can say a lot about us. If Jesus was to come to you today and ask "Do you agape me?" what would your answer be. Would you say that you phileo Him?