Monday, July 9, 2007

Sacraficing Your Children

July 9, 2007

So often when people speak of the father of faith, they point to Abraham. While it is true that he is a man of faith, I think his son had to have just a little bit more faith.

Gen 22:7-8 UPDV
(7) And Isaac spoke to Abraham his father, and said, My father. And he said, Here I am, my son. And he said, Look, the fire and the wood. But where is the lamb for a burnt-offering?
(8) And Abraham said, God will provide himself the lamb for a burnt-offering, my son. So they went both of them together.


Picture yourself walking along with your dad. You know you are going to make a sacrifice. You see the wood, in fact, you are carrying it. Dad has the fire so the sacrifice can be made. Where is the sacrifice itself? Dad is a little up in years, guess he forgot it. So, you ask the question. And he replies, God will provide it. Now at this point you have two choices. You can believe that he knows what he is doing and not have a 'senior' moment. Or you can drop that wood and get out of there as fast as your legs will carry you.

I can not speak for you, I think my first inclination would have been to hit the road running. And yet, they walked on together. Issac had a lot of faith to walk along with his dad for one very good reason. His dad had not given him any reason to doubt him.

As a parent, and as a dad, I can only hope that all my children would have that faith in me. I also pray, that God will not call me to sacrifice them, but I know that He has in a way that continues to let them live.

--Translation Information
Updated Bible Version 2.11 (Sep. 11, 2006) Copyright 2003-2006, Updated Publishers, Thousand Oaks, CA. This Bible may be copied but not modified. See website at www.updated.org for details and updates.