Friday, July 20, 2007

Advice

July 20, 2007

Once again, into the life of Saul

1Sa 9:3-6 GNB
(3) Some donkeys belonging to Kish had wandered off, so he said to Saul, "Take one of the servants with you and go and look for the donkeys."

We see here at least one redeeming quality about Saul. He honored his father and did what was asked of him to do with out any arguing.

(4) They went through the hill country of Ephraim and the region of Shalishah, but did not find them; so they went on through the region of Shaalim, but the donkeys were not there. Then they went through the territory of Benjamin, but still did not find them.
(5) When they came into the region of Zuph, Saul said to his servant, "Let's go back home, or my father might stop thinking about the donkeys and start worrying about us."

Saul did attempt to do what he was asked, but gave up quickly. I once gave a jar to one of my kids that had the lid on way to tight. I watched as they strained and did everything they could to open that jar so they could get what they needed to eat. Frustrated, they looked up at me and said they could not open it. I asked them if they tried everything. They told me yes, but I advised them they had not. When asked what they had not tried, I replied, you did not ask me for help. I then proceeded to open the jar and hand it back to them.

Saul had not tried everything yet, he had not asked God to help.

(6) The servant answered, "Wait! In this town there is a holy man who is highly respected because everything he says comes true. Let's go to him, and maybe he can tell us where we can find the donkeys."

I guess it is good to have a wise servant. Notice however that they did not seek God first, it was an afterthought. The man of God was nearby, they did not make an effort to see him first. How often in our own lives do we not seek God first for a problem? Do we turn to people who can help us, God given friends and ministers, to help us, or do we try to fix it all in our own power?

Let's make a vow to start turning to God first when we have a problem. He has the solutions.