Friday, July 13, 2007

Slingin stones and VBS

July 13, 2007

I have heard many sermons on the story of David and Goliath. I have even written one or two on devotions on it myself. But one day God caused me to stop and read something that caught my attention. And while it involves David and Goliath it is no where near the story in the Bible.

1Ch 12:1-2 CEV
(1) Some time earlier, David had gone to live in the town of Ziklag to escape from King Saul. While David was there, several brave warriors joined him to help fight his battles.
(2) Several of these warriors were from King Saul's own tribe of Benjamin. They were experts at using a bow and arrows, and they could shoot an arrow or sling a stone with either hand.

Think about what you have just read. The people who were relatives of Saul were so expert with a sling they could use either hand. That means that not only Saul's relatives could have taken out Goliath, Saul himself could. His people were expert with the sling. Why did David have to come along and take him out? Saul should have been out there to take him down himself.

Sometimes we see the problem and do not see what we can do to fix it. God wants to take the skills that you have and use them for His good.

The reason that it comes to mind to me right now is that my church just finished Vacation Bible School this week. I have spent 4 days with about 200 screaming kids, and a lot of time in the main auditorium it was just me and the children's pastor. If you had told me that I would have been doing what I was doing 2 weeks ago, I would have questioned your sanity. But I was out of work, they had a need, and I stepped in. The church did not need adults that could lead kids in worship, they did not need people who could entertain kids, they did not need eloquent speakers to tell the Gospel to them, though we had those. We did need adults that could maintain order. It did not take a Bible School education, it took people with a brain and a mouth. It did not even take two good legs. There were a lot of people that could have done what I did, I was one that did it, and we could have used more.

And you know what happened with David. God stepped in and made him king. No, I did not get made children's pastor, but I did get rewarded. I have been laid off 7 weeks. Last severance check came in today. I have had no nibbles in all that time though I have flooded the Tulsa are with resumes. Starting Monday all of a sudden I found favor with hiring people all over the area. I have had four interviews, one with a well paying job, and a job offer that is on hold till I see if the well paying job gets offered.

You can tell me all you want to that was a coincidence. You may even get yourself to believe it. I believe that it was God. God took my availability and gave me what I needed most. Do you have a way that God can use you today?



== Translation Information
Scriptures marked as "(CEV)" are taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1995 by American Bible Society. Used by permission.