Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hiding behind the baggage

July 22, 2007

Yesterday, we looked at the fact that Saul had a low view of himself. Today we see he tried to avoid the work of God.

At this point in time Saul had been anointed by Samuel as the new king. All that was left was the official ceremony where God would pick the tribe, the clan, the family and the man. Saul knew what was coming. As each one was picked off, he knew what was coming next. When time came for him to be chosen, they could not find him. Why? They asked of God what to do.

1Sa 10:22 MKJV
(22) And they inquired of Jehovah further, Has the man yet come here? And Jehovah answered, Behold, he is hiding himself among the baggage.

Saul had so little faith in what God could do in his life. He did not want the power that God was going to give him. This is in contrast to later in life when he would try to kill David to keep power. At this point in time, he did not want the job. His low opinion of himself kept him hidden. God knows where you are however.

God has anointed everyone of us to do a job. I feel that I have two great church skills. One is to run sound (though I have no formal training) and the other is to teach. In a large church like the one I attend, it would seem that there would be lots of openings to do those sort of things. But God found the place where I was needed most, and directed me to it. I work with the children running sound so that the children's pastor does not have to be doing a dozen things at once. This morning I was encouraged to present any ideas I had to teach the youngsters. While I never pictured myself teaching children, I will take the chance as God allows. I only say all that to let you know, I used to hide among the baggage also. A seat in the church can let you hide from what God has called you to do. There are times when you have to sit and be fed, especially if there was burn out involved, but that is not forever. Find a place that God has anointed you in and go do it. Don't hide among the baggage.

==Translation Information
Modern King James Version, copyright © 1962-1998 by Jay P. Green, Sr. All rights reserved.

==Hear it read to you