Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Here's Mud In Your Eye

July 31, 2007

Several years ago I was diagnosed with low level depression. It is easy to control with one of the many types of anti-depressants on the market. What got me upset was the people in my church who said that if I had faith I could get over it. It was like I was not a good enough Christian because I could not get over the depression. People smarter than me cannot say if I am depressed because my body does not produce the brain chemical, or if I do not produce the brain chemical because of my getting into a depression. Somehow though, church people could say more faith will get you well. It was like we do not need doctors.

God never said that. Two books of the Bible were written by a doctor by the name of Luke. Then there is this interesting verse in the Bible:

Joh 9:6-7 TCNT
(6) Saying this, Jesus spat on the ground, made clay with the saliva, and put it on the man's eyes.
(7) "Go," he said, "and wash your eyes in the Bath of Siloam" (a word which means 'Messenger'). So the man went and washed his eyes, and returned able to see.

All chemicals that go into medicine come from the basic elements that are made up of the earth. Notice what Jesus did. He spit on the ground. He made a paste. He made medicine. I do not know if it was known by Jesus if the ground was what the man needed for healing, or if he changed the elements in it to make the medicine. The thing is that it came from the ground. All medicines come from the ground as well. If it was good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough from me.

While I believe that God can fix the imbalance in my brain, I will continue to take the medicine till I know for sure. If anyone ever says you lack faith because you take medicine, tell them that Jesus used them also.

==Translation Information
Twentieth Century New Testament (TCNT) (1904)