Tuesday, June 19, 2007

More or Less Faith

June 19, 2007

Yesterday we looked at Elisha and the widow woman and how God provided food for a year and the supply never went away. This to most people would be a major miracle. At least I thought so, but as I read it to my kids the other day, my youngest one, Israel, say no dad, someone could be sneaking back in and refilling the food. I guess he is right. The story continues though. If the widow had a chance to doubt God, she has it taken away now.

1Ki 17:17-24 KJV
(17) And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him.
(18) And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son?

Why do people always blame the man of God when something goes wrong. Why can they not look to their own faults and failings. After all, this woman has doubted that God could feed her.

(19) And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed.

Even though Elijah is not the fault, it is a chance to show God's power and he takes the bull by the horns.

(20) And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?
(21) And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
(22) And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

When a person of God speaks and asks in faith, God hears it and responds.

(23) And Elijah took the child, and brought him down out of the chamber into the house, and delivered him unto his mother: and Elijah said, See, thy son liveth.
(24) And the woman said to Elijah, Now by this I know that thou art a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in thy mouth is truth.

This finally convinces the widow. She now knows that Elijah is a man of God, he speaks the truth. The funny thing is that to me a non-emptying food bin would have been enough. I guess some people need more than others. Remember that not everyone has had the same life experiences we have. It may take more or less experience for them to walk in the same faith that you have.