Saturday, June 16, 2007

God and Fathers

June 17, 2007

I have written about my father before here so it is no surprise that I can say that my father was not the best one there was, and I hope I have done better with all my children. How we see our fathers though can affect how we see God. I learned this while going through a book with my friend and councilor Chuck a few years ago. Recently in a random verse pop-up on my computer came the following verse:

Psalm 103:13 (Amplified Bible)
13 As a father loves and pities his children, so the Lord loves and pities those who fear Him [with reverence, worship, and awe].

This verse is sort of the reverse. God can only see us fathers in the way that we minister to our children. I cannot say how my dad viewed me, I can only say how I see my children. If God loves me a tenth of what I love my own kids, I have too much love already.

So, maybe, we need to turn that view of God around. Not how I view my father and compare him to how I view God. Instead, compare how I view my children to how God views me.

So, men, how does God view you?

--Translation Information

"Scripture quotations taken from the Amplified® Bible,
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)