Monday, February 23, 2009

Whose life is it?

February 22, 2009


The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jesus challenged for healing on Sabbath; John 5:16-47

John 5:26 ESV
(26) For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.

I work for one of my jobs in a major US retail chain. Valentine's day had just passed this week and the store was putting all the Valentine's items on sale. One of them was this cute little teddy bear with some lotion in his bag that he was holding. It was just the type of thing that my daughter would have loved. But payday was still a few days off. As things went, not only was it marked down but it had been marked down even more than before. So for a small sum the bear was mine. No that I had it, I could do with it as I wanted. And I wanted to give it to my daughter. So I did.

You see, it was mine to do with as I wanted to. If I wanted to drive around with the bear on the dashboard of my car, I could have. I had a bear, and I could give it to my daughter.

God had life in Him. He gave it to the Son. The Son gave it to us. Not the life the world has, but eternal life.

Have you received the life from Jesus. Like my daughter getting the teddy bear from me, you do not have to do anything. It is a gift and a gift you cannot earn, you can only receive.

Read for tomorrow: Disciples pick grain on the Sabbeth; Matthew 12:1-8; Mark 2:23-38; Luke 6:1-5