Thursday, February 12, 2009

Time alone

February 12, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Disciples seek Jesus; Mark 1:35-38; Luke 4:42-43


Luke 4:42 ESV
42 And when it was day, he departed and went into a desolate place. And the people sought him and came to him, and would have kept him from leaving them,


While I have said a lot about ministry the past few weeks, and how we should be involved in it, be aware that there is a time not to be in it as well. Jesus did not take all His time ministering to the people. Many times he sought out the solitary moments. I am sure that he took some of that time to talk to God the Father, but I am sure that He may have taken some time just to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Too much work in ministry with out recharging yourself can get you burned out. For years I was in several churches and when ever I would change them, the minister would need someone to run sound, something that I was good at. Satan did all he could to get me not to hear the word. I was too busy twisting and turning knobs to listen to what was said. In the end I ran from God, ruining a marriage and a family with it. I realize that God forgives, but how much better would things have been if I had not burned out?

Take some time to smell the roses.

Read for tomorrow: Jesus preaches in the Synagogues: Matthew 4:23-25; Mark 1:39; Luke 4:44