Saturday, February 7, 2009

Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...

February 6, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: The 2nd miracle - Official's son healed; John 4:46-54

John 4:48 ESV
48 So Jesus said to him, “Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.”


I live in Tulsa. Some call it the 'Buckle of the Bible Belt'. We are blessed with several large churches in town. In listening to them preach over the years, I can tell you there is one common theme that seems to come through all of them. As soon as commitment is preached, the congregation moves on. If they do not like what my pastor is preaching, they head over to one of the other ones. While I love the teaching I get, I can see that it could be a problem.

But another thing I have noticed is that as signs happen, people also move on. If one church seems to have a lot of healing going on, or things of that nature, then the people move on as well. Jesus had this problem. The people wanted to see things happen, then they could believe. Jesus wanted to teach them that this was not the way it worked. They need to believe and then the results will be there.

How about you. Do you believe because of the miracles, or are the miracles a result of what you believe in?


Read for tomorrow: Jesus settles in Capernaum 4:13-17 1:14-15 4:31-32