Thursday, February 19, 2009

Follow me

February 18, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Matthew (Levi) called to be a disciple; Matthew 9:9; Mark 2:13-14; Luke 5:27-28

Matthew 9:9 ESV
9 As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.


Follow me. Very simple words. I could ask you to do it, and you would most likely ask why should I. If people ask us to follow them today, we should ask why. We do not want to blindly follow a man, or we could end up with a world war on our hands. But still Jesus said that to Matthew. And He asks it of us today.

People look at this verse and see blind obedience. I do not. I see a man who had been watching the Fox News and the CNN of his day. He had read all the blog accounts of this man and he was amazed. But he would not follow Him. Then Jesus looked in right in the face and said 'follow me.'

Friend, if you are reading this today, and do not know Jesus as your savior, He is looking you in the face and saying 'follow me.' A lot of other people have done so already. You do not need to take time to study about Him to follow Him, but He will not mind if you do. Just do not take too long. Time is short.


Read for tomorrow: Parables at Levi's reception; Matthew 9:10-17; Mark 2:15-22; Luke 5:29-39