Thursday, February 5, 2009

Image Problems

February 4, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jesus continues toward Galilee; The 1st rejection in Nazareth; Luke 4:16-30

Luke 4:22 BWE
22 They all began to talk about him. They were surprised to hear him say such good words. They asked, ‘Is not this Joseph’s son?’


I used to work at a Christian radio station. The things that went on at the station were not illegal, but as a moral law that we have in us as Christians, were not what I would call morally right. I left the station shortly after the questionable practices started.

Now, almost 30 years later, I cannot listen to the station. I know it is under different management. I know it plays much the same music that I listen to on another Christian station. It is just the image problem of that station after all these years.

Jesus had the same image problem. He tried to preach in the synagogue, and though the preaching was right, the people could not bring themselves to believe what He was teaching. After all, this is a kid born to a carpenter. Not only that but His mom got pregnant before they were married. Nope, this could not be a teacher of the law to us. Like my vision of the radio station and its bad behavior, they had developed an image of Jesus and how He could never amount to anything.

As you try to do things for God, some will try to stop you. Some people who know me cannot understand how I think I am good enough to write a devotional every day. Others who know me, know that God has called me to do it. You will have the same things happen to you. Do not let the people who say you should not do it stop you. If God tells you to, then do it.


Read for tomorrow: Arrival in Cana of Galilee; John 4:43-45