Wednesday, July 2, 2008

How do you want to ride out after death

July 2, 2008

The late Rich Mullins did a song called Elijah. I wish I could post the words of the song here. It has so much in it of what I want to say here that I could almost cut and paste it for the devotion. In it he talks about Elijah and his death. We as Christians we focus so much on the story about how Elisha following after him got the mantle and went on to do other things. But look how the man left this life.

2 Kings 2:11-12 ASV
(11) And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, which parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
(12) And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariots of Israel and the horsemen thereof! And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.


Even though he had failed God in his pity party, God went on to use him for many mighty works. And when it was time for him to leave a chariot of fire took him out. It did not break his heart for God to take him and for him to say goodbye to the people around him. He knew he had done what God wanted him to do.


Now I do not know how I am going to die, and I do not know how it will look to the people around me. But if Jesus should tarry and I pass away, I want to take a chariot ride out of here. I want my life to reflect God so much that when it comes time to take me home I am going first class. I can only pray that God will see me that way. I do know that when I die, I will be satisfied that I have done what I could to teach others about Jesus.



Today

2 Kings 1:1-4:44
Tomorrow

2 Kings 5:1-8:29

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list