Saturday, May 17, 2008

Words

May 17, 2008

Words are powerful. Consider these words of David:


2 Samuel 18:5-6 MKJV
(5) And the king commanded Joab and Abishai and Ittai, saying, For my sake be gentle with the young man, with Absalom. And all the people heard when the king gave all the commanders charge concerning Absalom.
(6) And the people went out into the field against Israel. And the battle was in the forest of Ephraim.


Absalom was out to kill his father. David was asking the commanders to pull their punches and not hurt his son. And what was the result?

2 Samuel 18:10-13 MKJV
(10) And a certain man saw and told Joab, and said, Behold, I saw Absalom hanged in an oak.
(11) And Joab said to the man who told him, And, behold, you saw him, and why did you not strike him there to the ground? And I would have given you ten shekels of silver and a girdle.
(12) And the man said to Joab, Though I should receive a thousand silverlings in my hand, yet I would not put forth my hand against the king's son. For in our ears the king charged you and Abishai and Ittai, saying, Beware you who go against the young man, against Absalom.
(13) Or I would have dealt falsely with my own life, for there is no matter hidden from the king, and you yourself would have set yourself against me.

One of David's own fighting army would not kill the one who would kill David if given half a chance. Not only that but he would not follow a direct order from his superior. David's words had caused a division in the ranks.

What do your words do? Do they lock people up and keep them from doing they things they need to do for God? Are you justifying those words because of something that someone else said or did? Words are powerful.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
2 Samuel 16:1-18:33
Tomorrow
Psalms 26:1-12, Psalms 40:1-17, Psalms 58:1-11, Psalms 61:1-8, Psalms 62:1-12, Psalms 64:1-10
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool